Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Finished Piece: Gem #2

Spent a lot of time lost in orchid petals, but it was worth it. The finished piece:

You might notice a weird little notch on the upper-right hand corner. That's the result of someone knocking this piece off the shelf twice in quick, panicked succession, chipping the corner of the clay off. So, despite its success, this painting is likely going to live out its days in my closet. Yay.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Mountain Gem #2 WIP: Part Two

So I had couple of rather intense painting sessions and I wasn't taking WIP shots, so this is all you get until I upload the finished painting.

Working on a lot of different things all at once. Refining the lights and darks to build form, adjusting local color to get it right, building texture and detail. A great deal of the work I did on the flowers revolved around refining the edges. One of the great things about aquaboard is its superior lifting ability, and I definitely put it to the test with this piece.

Next up: the finished piece!

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Mountain Gem #2 WIP: Part One

Another aquaboard piece, 16 by 20. A female of the same species as last time.

Started off by (trying) to get the background to a reasonable state of completion before I started working on the foreground. Viridian green features prominently in all the mixes, along with several different red paints. Knowing the flowers are going to be an eye-searing colors of fushia, I wanted the green tones in the background. Most of the texture you see here is the result of the sponge I used to move some of the paint around.

I tried to keep some pure colors in the background, but it was just too much. So I sponged off the background, leaving subtle greys behind. I also started filling in the local colors of the flowers and bird.

Mostly finished filling in the local colors. Really hated it at this point. Decided to add some more complimentary colors into the background and it really livened things up. Hating it much less.

Detail work on the bird, using a lot of the neutral quina's to keep it bright, and worked on one flower petal. Hating it even a little less.

Lot more to go.

Monday, August 04, 2014

Finished Work: Brilliant Cut

Went to scan this piece...and the scanner died. A annual tradition it keeps up just to screw with me. An hour of messing around and it starting marching along again.

So. Here's the finished hummingbird piece:

Finished Work: The Wake

Finally put together a scan that wasn't offensively distorted. It still destroyed the subltle greens in the water, but otherwise is fairly close.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mountain Gem WIP: Part Two

Ready for more feathers? 'Cause there's more feathers.

Here I've laid in a light base layer for each feather, and have started going down from the violet bib. Painting iridescence is something I'm still working on, but strong value changes are important. I've also started darkening the shadows on the bib.

More of the same, an hour later:

And...another hour and a half. Almost all the feathers laid in.

Working on the flower stem and the wings (another hour and a half of work):

Coming up: fine tuning. Lots of fine tuning.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mountain Gem WIP: Part One

The merganser piece is finished. I did one scan, but it destroyed all the subtle values and color shifts, so I'm waiting to get up the energy for another pass at it.

In the meantime, I started a watercolor piece. This time on a piece of cradled Aquaboard I found in my closet (so glad those things come plastic-wrapped). One big experiment for me: a support I don't use very often, a subject I don't paint very often, painted at a size several times larger than the real thing. Plus iridescent feathers. Ugh.

After drawing the bird on the 16 by 20" board, I started laying in the background. Lots of granulating colors, aiming for cools on the bottom and warms on top.

Lay in the base local colors on the bird, and decided the background texture just wasn't doing it for me. Now, Aquaboard is supposed to be excellent for lifting, but the idea of doing it all with a brush was exhausting. Experiment time! I wet the background with water, put on a rubber glove, and used a clean sponge to wipe off the pigment. This was the result:

I decided I really liked the soft edges on the back and wings, so they got to stay. Then I lay in the feather pattern, but...

At this point, I hated it. A lot. But I persevered, and started adding shadows and color shifts to the feathers, and...

I still hated it. The sponge stepped up to the plate once again, leaving the head, which I was mostly-content with.

Here you can see where I've started laying in feathers again. Next update, feathers, and more feathers, and more feathers...